The Zeta Psi Fraternity Incorporated (ΖΨ) was founded June 1, 1847 as a social college fraternity. The organization now comprises about fifty active chapters and twenty-five inactive chapters, encompassing roughly fifty thousand brothers, and is a founding member of the North-American Interfraternity Conference. It has historically been selective about the campuses at which it has established chapters, focusing on forging new territory and maintaining a presence at prestigious institutions: it was the first Fraternity on the West Coast at the University of California, Berkeley June 10, 1870, the first Fraternity in Canada at the University of Toronto, March 27, 1879, and the only fraternity to have chapters simultaneously at all eight Ivy League schools with the chartering of the Eta Chapter at Yale University in 1889 (though this claim lasted only a few years, owing to faculty opposition to the Princeton University Chapter). The fraternity became intercontinental on May 3, 2008 with the chartering of Iota Omicron at the University of Oxford.
Zeta Psi’s international headquarters is located in Pearl River, New York. Its current president is Barth H. Gillan, who was elected in 2014.
Zeta Psi Badge
History — 1847 to 1860: Foundation and Early Expansion
On the first of June in 1847, three young men gathered in a New York City bungalow with a purpose in mind: the constitution of a new Greek-letter society. Their names were John Bradt Yates Sommers, William Henry Dayton, and John Moon Skillman.
Then students at New York University, the three men formed the core of the first chapter, Phi. But William Dayton was stricken with poor health, and departed New York shortly afterwards for more temperate climes. He retired to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where the warm weather and liberal policies were expected to improve his humors, intending to begin a chapter there. But the move was inauspicious: Dayton died within the year, and the University of North Carolina was without a chapter of Zeta Psi for over a decade.
The Phi chapter at NYU persisted in his absence, and graduated its first member the next year with George S Woodhull (Φ ’48). The second chapter was established as Zeta at Williams College in Massachusetts. The Delta chapter was founded at Rutgers University later that year, and was the most continuously active chapter of the fraternity until it became inactive in 2009.
Three chapters followed in 1850: Omicron (now Omicron Epsilon) at Princeton University, Sigma at the University of Pennsylvania, and Chi at Colby College in Waterville, Maine. The first two are still active, as was the Chi Chapter until 1988. In the early 1980s Colby College prohibited Fraternities on campus, despite the long and storied tradition they had enjoyed there. By 1988, ejected from campus and banned from any formal rush, the chapter quietly expired after over 130 years of existence. Problems beset other early chapters as well. The first Alpha chapter was founded in 1852 at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. But immediate resistance from the administration slowly wore upon the brothers there, and that chapter became inactive in 1872, permitting its letter to be used for the later chapter founded at Columbia.
— Read More History on Zeta Psi on Wikipedia
Zeta Psi (ΖΨ)
- Founded On: June 1st, 1847 – New York University – NYU
- Type: Social Fraternity
- Colors: White
- Flower: White Carnation
- Nicknames: Zetas-Zeta-Psi
- Chapters: 50 Active, 32 Inactive
- Website: www.zetapsi.org
- Motto: — “ΤΚΦ (Tau Kappa Phi)”