Sigma Alpha Epsilon (ΣΑΕ, also SAE) is the largest North American Greek-letter social college fraternity. It was founded at the University of Alabama on March 9, 1856. Of all existing national social fraternities today, Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the only one founded in the Antebellum South. Its national headquarters, the Levere Memorial Temple, was established on the campus of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois in 1929.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon has more than 324,000 initiated members since badge numbers were initiated and approximately 14,000 active undergraduates at 252 active chapters and 14 colonies in 50 states and provinces at present. The creed of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, The True Gentleman, must be memorized and recited by all prospective members. New members receive a copy of The Phoenix, the manual of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, for educational development. In March 2014, the fraternity announced that it was eliminating the tradition of pledging following several high-profile alcohol, drug, and hazing-related deaths.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon Badge
Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on March 9, 1856, at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Its founders were Noble Leslie DeVotie, Nathan Elams Cockrell, John Barratt Rudulph, John Webb Kerr, Samuel Marion Dennis, Wade Hampton Foster, Abner Edwin Patton, and Thomas Chappell Cook. Their leader was DeVotie, who wrote the ritual, created the grip, and chose the name. Rudulph designed the fraternity badge. Of all existing national social fraternities today, Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the only national fraternity founded in the antebellum South.
Founded in a time of intense sectional feeling, Sigma Alpha Epsilon confined its growth to the southern states. By the end of 1857, the fraternity numbered seven chapters. Its first national convention met in the summer of 1858 at Murfreesboro, Tennessee, with four of its eight chapters in attendance. By the time of the outbreak of the American Civil War in 1861, fifteen chapters had been established.
None of the founders of SAE were members of any other fraternity, although Noble Leslie DeVotie had been invited to join all of the other fraternities at the University of Alabama before founding Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
The fraternity had fewer than 400 members when the Civil War began. Of those, 369 went to war for the Confederate States and seven for the Union Army. Seventy-four members of the fraternity lost their lives in the war.
While many Sigma Alpha Epsilon Chapters today claim that Noble Leslie DeVotie was the first person to die in the Civil War, this is in dispute. DeVotie lost his footing while boarding a steamer at Fort Morgan, Alabama, on February 12, 1861, hit his head and drowned. His body washed ashore three days later. Because Alabama had already seceded from the Union in January of that year, DeVotie is viewed by many to be the first casualty of the war. He is recognized as such by the state of Alabama.
After the Civil War, only one chapter survived – at tiny Columbian College (which is now George Washington University) in Washington, D.C..
When a few of the young veterans returned to the Georgia Military Institute and found their college burned to the ground, they decided to enter the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia. The founding of a chapter there at the end of 1865, along with the re-establishment of the chapter at the University of Virginia, led to the fraternity’s revival. Soon, other chapters came back to life and, in 1867, the first post-war convention was held at Nashville, Tennessee, where a half-dozen revived chapters planned the fraternity’s future growth.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon Seal
In the 1870s and early 1880s, more than a score of new chapters were formed. Older chapters died as fast as new ones were established. By 1886, the fraternity had chartered 49 chapters, but few were active. The first northern chapter had been established at Pennsylvania College (now Gettysburg College), in 1883, and a second was placed at Mount Union College in Ohio two years later.
Soon after, 16-year-old Harry Bunting entered Southwestern Presbyterian University in Clarksville, Tennessee, now known as Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee. He was initiated into the Tennessee Zeta Chapter, which had previously initiated two of his brothers. In just eight years, Harry Bunting and his younger brother, George, emboldened Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapters to increase their membership. They wrote encouraging articles in the fraternity’s quarterly journal, The Record, promoting better chapter standards. Above all, they gave new life to old chapters in the South (including the mother chapter at Alabama) and founded new ones in the North and West. The Buntings were responsible for an explosion of growth, founding nearly 50 chapters of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. When Harry Bunting founded the Northwestern University chapter in 1894, he initiated as a charter member William Collin “Billy” Levere. Bunting passed the torch of leadership to Levere, and for the next three decades, Levere’s high spirits brought the fraternity to maturity.
When Levere died on February 22, 1927, the fraternity’s Supreme Council decided to name the new national headquarters building The Levere Memorial Temple. Construction of the Temple, an immense German Gothic structure located near Lake Michigan and across from the Northwestern University campus, was started in 1929, and the building was dedicated in the winter of 1930.
When the Supreme Council met regularly in the early 1930s at the Temple, educator John O. Moseley, the fraternity’s national president, lamented, “We have in the Temple a magnificent school-house. Why can we not have a school?” Accordingly, the economic depression notwithstanding, the fraternity’s first Leadership School was held under the direction of Moseley in the summer of 1935. In the last years of Moseley’s life, he served the fraternity as its executive secretary, capping an academic career that included two college presidencies.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon Phoenix
The True Gentleman
The True Gentleman is the creed of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, which was first informally adopted by the fraternity sometime in the 1920s. It was officially adopted as the fraternity’s creed in 1963. The definition was introduced to the fraternity by Walter B. Jones, who came upon it in an Alabama Baptist quarterly of which he was the editor. Jones sent a copy of it to John O. Moseley, the leader of the annual Leadership Schools, who began using it at the schools. For many years, the author of it was thought by the fraternity to be anonymous until the 1970s when Joseph Walt, the editor of the pledge manual, discovered that the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis also used it in a manual. The author was denoted there as one John Walter Wayland. The True Gentleman had actually first appeared in The Baltimore Sun as the winning submission to a competition for the best definition of a true gentleman.
With his family’s approval, Wayland was posthumously initiated into SAE during the fraternity’s 66th annual Leadership School in Chicago. The Virginia Omicron chapter at the University of Virginia was selected as Wayland’s chapter since he had completed his master’s degree at that institution in 1901.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Mascot — Minerva
The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.
— John Walter Wayland, The Baltimore Sun, 1899
The Levere Memorial Temple in Evanston, IL.
The Levere Memorial Temple
The fraternity’s international headquarters, known as the Fraternity Service Center, is maintained at the Levere Memorial Temple in Evanston, Illinois. Honoring all the members of the fraternity who have served their countries in the armed forces since 1856, it was dedicated on December 28, 1930. The museum on the first floor is devoted to a collection of interesting historical photographs, pictures, and collections from private sources. The walls of the building are hung with oil portraits of distinguished members. The basement contains the Panhellenic Room, on the ceiling of which are the coats-of-arms of 40 college fraternities and 17 sororities, while the niches on the north side contain large murals showing the founding of Phi Beta Kappa in 1776 and that of Sigma Alpha Epsilon in 1856, together with other murals depicting episodes in the history of the fraternity. Perhaps the most outstanding mural in the Panhellenic Room is the reproduction of Raphael’s The School of Athens, painted by Johannes Waller in the 1930s. Additionally, all brothers who visit are encouraged to sign the guest book, which amassed quite a collection over the years.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon Lion Logo
The building continues to be used for ceremonies and receptions by the various fraternities, sororities, and honor societies at Northwestern University. The impressive chapel of the Temple, with its soaring vaulted ceiling and stained glass windows by Tiffany is used regularly for religious services, and has been the scene of many weddings of Evanstonians and members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. In fact, the entire building is open to the public for patriotic, religious, and educational purposes, while the library is also free to scholars seeking material pertaining to the history of any or all college fraternities and college organizations.
— Read More History on Sigma Alpha Epsilon on Wikipedia
Sigma Alpha Epsilon (ΣΑΕ)
- Founded On: March 9th, 1856 – University of Alabama
- Type: Social Fraternity
- Colors: Royal Purple and Old Gold
- Flower: Violet
- Nicknames: SAE-Sigma-Alpha-Epsilon
- Chapters: 317 Chartered, 244 Active
- Website: www.sae.net
- Motto: “Phi Alpha (ΦΑ)”
Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s Flag
|1st Color||2nd Color||3rd Color|
|Royal Purple||Old Gold||N/A|