Delta Phi Epsilon Badge
Delta Phi Epsilon (ΔΦΕ or DPhiE) is an international sorority founded on March 17, 1917 at New York University Law School in New York City. It is one of 26 social sororities that form the National Panhellenic Conference.
On March 17, 1917, at the New York University School of Law, Dorothy Cohen Schwartzman, Ida Bienstock Landau, Minna Goldsmith Mahler, Eve Effron Robin, and Sylvia Steierman Cohn made a pledge to each other to build a women’s organization that would stand out from the rest.
These five women founded the Alpha chapter of the Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority to “promote good fellowship among the women students among the various colleges in the country…to create a secret society composed of these women based upon their good moral character, regardless of nationality or creed…to have distinct chapters at various colleges”. Delta Phi Epsilon was the first non-sectarian social sorority founded at a professional school.
Delta Phi Epsilon Logo
Five years later, in 1922, Delta Phi Epsilon was officially incorporated under the state laws of New York and became an international sorority by creating a chapter of the organization at McGill University in Canada. Currently there are more than 55,000 members of Delta Phi Epsilon. The current international president of Delta Phi Epsilon is Tricia Carlin of the Delta Sigma chapter.
Chapters, both undergraduate and alumnae, enjoy a distinguished reputation for scholarship, service, and leadership. Over three quarters of a century after Delta Phi Epsilon began, women still embrace the beliefs of the organization’s founders by sharing sisterhood in their hearts and lives.
With a continuing philosophy of faith in the inherent good judgment of the undergraduate membership, Delta Phi Epsilon has remained steadfast throughout its history; forward to the continued growth of a sisterhood which keeps pace with the ever changing nature of the collegiate world.
Delta Phi Epsilon’s flower is the Lovely Purple Iris, and its international mascot is the Unicorn. The sisterhood badge is an equilateral triangle in gold surrounded by 21 pearls, the jewel of the sorority. DPhiE’s open motto is “Esse Quam Videri” (in Latin: “To be rather than to seem to be”).
Delta Phi Epsilon — The Founders
Delta Phi Epsilon has three international philanthropies: the Delta Phi Epsilon Educational Foundation; the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation; and the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders.
The Delta Phi Epsilon Educational Foundation, established in 1967, helps to give members and their children the opportunity to further their education through scholarships, grants, and loans. The foundation also supports sorority education and volunteer training. The Harriette Hirsch Sisterhood Fund helps give financial support to sisters during time of family financial crisis and allows them to continue their education.
Delta Phi Epsilon
Symbol — The DPhiE Crest
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, helps benefit those with the genetic disease Cystic fibrosis (CF) through research, grants, and awareness campaigns. Delta Phi Epsilon fills tote bags, called Tate’s Totes, with various items that make an extended hospital stay more comfortable for children with cystic fibrosis and their parents. These totes are then taken to Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF) Care Centers for distribution. Supporting the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation since 1967 Delta Phi Epsilon has raised more than one million dollars for the foundation. In 2006 Delta Phi Epsilon announced its official partnership with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Some chapters host a fundraising event known as Deepher Dude which is a male dance competition.
The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) was created to help alleviate problems of anorexia and other eating disorders. Each Delta Phi Epsilon chapter sponsors an annual candlelight vigil on their campus to increase awareness of eating disorders and provide information to family and friends of sufferers.
Delta Phi Epsilon is the first national sorority to pledge their regular support to ANAD.
Delta Phi Epsilon
Flower — Purple Iris
The Five S’s
Delta Phi Epsilon has identified five areas of development and personal growth among members which cultivate a well-rounded and balanced woman. Each member uses these areas to support them in becoming the woman they want to be.These areas are known as the Five S’s:
Delta Phi Epsilon Seal (Mockup)
The Five C’s
Delta Phi Epsilon has identified five areas of development and personal growth among alumnae members which cultivate a well-rounded and balanced woman. With an ever-changing lifestyle, this program is flexible and relevant to life as a DPhiE Alumna. These areas are known as the Five C’s:
Delta Phi Epsilon
Mascot — Unicorn
- 1917 — Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority founded at New York University School of Law by Minna Goldsmith Mahler, Eva Effron Robin, Ida Bienstock Landau, Sylvia Steierman Cohn, and Dorothy Cohen Schwartzman.
- 1922 — First issue of the official sorority magazine, the Triangle, Published as a quarterly. Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority incorporated in the State of New York. Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority goes international with the chartering of the Epsilon Chapter at McGill University (Montreal, Quebec).
- 1933 — International Convention held at the World’s Fair, Chicago, Illinois.
- 1942 — World War II: Each soror and alumna resolved to devote a minimum of three hours per week to a war endeavor.
- 1952 — DPhiE becomes a member of the National Panhellenic Conference. Delta Phi Epsilon’s official magazine the TRIANGLE renamed the TRIAD.
- 1956 — Edward R. Murrow is named DPhiE Man of the Year. Here he accepts his award from Rita Rossner, International President, and Etta Taube Sherman (Zeta, University of Toronto), NPC Delegate.
- 1958 — Cystic Fibrois is named as one of our international philanthropies.
- 1971 — Delta Phi Epsilon holds its first joint convention with Tau Epsilon Phi fratenity, a tradition that continues until 1983.
- 1978 — International Headquarters moves to Stamford, Connecticut.
- 1981 — The Unicorn is named Delta Phi Epsilon’s mascot.
- 1993 — International Headquarters moves to St. Louis, Missouri. DPhiE assumes lead role in NPC as Harriett Block Macht (Delta Delta, Indiana University) becomes National Panhellenic Conference Chairwoman at NPC’s 100th Biennial Meeting.
- 1996 — DPhiE goes online.
- 1998 — TEAM EXCELLENCE is introduced.
- 2007 — International Headquarters moves to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 2008 — International Headquarters introduces the move from Leadership Consultants to Membership Managers. DPhiE goes under a rebranding and introduces a new logo and new website.
- 2009 — A new volunteer structure is introduced.
- 2010 — International Headquarters purchases a permanent residence in historic Center City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. DPhiE introduces the new Standards of Excellence and Chapter Assessment Program.
- 2011 — DPhiE unveils new website 3.0.
— Read More History on Delta Phi Epsilon on Wikipedia
Delta Phi Epsilon (ΔΦΕ)
- Founded On: March 17th, 1917 – New York University Law School
- Type: Social Sorority
- Colors: Royal Purple and Pure Gold
- Flower: Purple Iris
- Nicknames: DPhiE-Delta-Phi-Epsilon
- Chapters: 106 Active Chapters
- Website: www.dphie.org
- Motto: Esse Quam Videri — “To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be”
Delta Phi Epsilon’s Flag
|1st Color||2nd Color||3rd Color|
|Royal Purple||Pure Gold||N/A|