Alpha Delta Pi (ΑΔΠ) is a sorority founded on May 15, 1851 at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia. The executive office for this sorority is located on Ponce de Leon Avenue in Atlanta, Georgia. Alpha Delta Pi was the first secret society for women at a U.S. university.
History — Founding of Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Delta Pi, nicknamed ADPi, was founded as the first women’s sorority on May 15, 1851 at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia. It was first named the Adelphean Society, a secret society focused on fellowship and scholarship. The sorority was founded on the principles of scholarship, leadership, service to others and sisterhood. These principles still guide the policies and programs of the sorority today.
In 1905 the Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi (ΑΔΦ), but was later changed because a men’s fraternity by the same name was already well established at many universities where ADPi wanted to start chapters.
The open motto of ADPi is “We Live for Each Other,” and its colors are azure blue and white. The official flower is the woodland violet, the mascot is a lion nicknamed Alphie and the symbol is the diamond. However, since woodland violets are found in the wild and not available for purchase, people often substitute the African violet. Alpha Delta Pi currently has over 140 chapters in the United States and Canada, and over 140 alumnae associations, and their Executive Office is located in Atlanta, Georgia. Its national philanthropy is the Ronald McDonald House Charities.
Alpha Delta Pi was founded by six women: Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald, Elizabeth Williams Mitchell, Sophronia Woodruff Dews, Octavia Andrew Rush, Mary Evans Glass, and Ella Pierce Turner.
Wesleyan College, the first college for women in the world, was chartered to grant degrees to women. Young women fortunate enough to receive a college education were from progressive and educated families. A typical day for a Wesleyan student was highly regulated. There was a precise schedule for waking, eating, attending classes, taking fresh air and exercising, studying, attending chapel and sleeping. They had few personal liberties and little time for free thinking and socializing.
Alpha Delta Pi is a member group of the National Panhellenic Conference, which is the governing council of the 26 member sororities.
The symbols of Alpha Delta Pi are:
Alpha Delta Pi Badge
- Badge — The first diamond-shaped badge was worn by the Adelpheans in 1852. Stars were not included on this first badge, but it did have a monogram of the Wesleyan pin attached to the badge by a link chain, thus forming a guard. In 1854, the stars were added, but it was not until 1874 that the stars and the clasped hands were raised. This design remained with only slight modifications until 1906 when, at Alpha Delta Pi’s first convention, Nanaline King presented a new design for the pin. Her design was a smaller gold badge with a black enamel center which pictured the clasped hands, the two stars, and the Greek letters, Alpha Delta Phi. This design was adopted by the convention and is the same pin we have today, with Alpha Delta Phi being changed to Alpha Delta Pi at the 1913 convention.
- Alpha Badge — New Member Badge, New members wear a gold pin with a lion atop the Greek letters ΒΥΑ.
- Mascot — The lion is the mascot of Alpha Delta Pi. The lion is nicknamed Alphie.
- Official Colors — Azure blue and white are the official colors of Alpha Delta Pi. Blue is symbolic of friendship, the basic spirit upon which Alpha Delta Pi was founded. White symbolizes sincerity and truth, two of the qualities in which Alpha Delta Pi looks for in its members.
- Jewel — Diamond, a symbol of the enduring strength and value of friendship.
- Official Flower — The Woodland Violet, which grows wild, is the official flower. Because it is unavailable for purchase, African Violets are often used to symbolize the Woodland Violet.
- Coat of Arms – Elizabeth Moseley Coles, who was elected national president at the first grand convention, was responsible for having the coat of arms designed. Another sister of Alpha chapter, Agnes Chapman, is given credit for the actual design of the coat of arms. Symbolism from the ritual and the Alpha pin were combined in the coat of arms, and the design originally had a background of violets. In 1919, the convention body voted to make changes and the present design was accepted.
- 4-pointed Diamond — Symbolizes a balanced life when all 4 points of the diamond are represented: Sisterhood, Scholarship, Sorority, Self.
— Read More History on Alpha Delta Pi on Wikipedia
Alpha Delta Pi (ΑΔΠ)
- Founded On: October 15th, 1885 – Depauw University
- Type: Social Sorority
- Colors: Scarlet Red and Olive Green
- Flower: Red Carnation
- Nicknames: AChiO-Alpha-Chi
- Chapters: 139 Chapters
- Website: www.alphadeltapi.org
- Motto: Μαζί ας αναζητήσουμε τα ύψη — “Together let us seek the heights”